Sunday, February 22, 2009

Argentina day 3

Thursday 19/02/2009

Had the written exam first thing. Ridiculous text, but whatever. We had to synthesize it and also write another page about an object we would choose to represent our country. I chose France, and Camembert cheese and bla bla bla...
some others students chose the constitution, a starbucks drink, their family, another a tree(in a really cool way though)...

After another orientation session about concentrations which didn't concern me, I went out to eat with this German kid and Jewish girls. The German guy seemed cool but I don't think the American girls understood his humor. He sort of ran off to buy a cell phone after the meal, don't blame him though. Then I learned the meaning of "JAP"... they decided to go shopping... I don't know why I tagged along, I guess I had nothing better to do. I suppose some good did come out of it though. I took the bus and the train for the first time. I also talked to one of them who was not so into shopping and liked speaking Spanish but was interesting because was really traditionally jewish, culturally, linguistically, lived in the mother land for a year, yet seem really open minded and just plain old nice. Another one didn't know what a kufaya is... (Palestinian scarf) (but thought it's stylish, again jap)

Also met a different jewish girl who is also taking Arabic. She speaks hebrew though, so she'll be able to use it in a useful way, hopefully.

After splitting off from them, got lost, while reading a book. Finally came home around 8pm. Took a cold shower. am sweating now, again, 15 minutes later. sigh...

3 comments:

Unknown said...

You should change your blog name to incorporate your present location.

Anonymous said...

An interesting perspective, linked below:

"The stereotyping of the Jewish American woman as the JAP, which stands for Jewish American Princess, is an insult, an injury, and violence that is done to Jewish women."

http://condor.depaul.edu/~mwilson/multicult/jap.html

Morsy said...

Greetings Josip Broz. Thank you for reading my blog and thanks for your input.

Sorry if I offended you, there was no injury or violence involved here and I consider the aforementioned girls my friends.

"Jap" just seemed to be the most precise (perhaps not the most PC...) word to use to get the high-volume-shopping point across.

For a non-academic source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jewish-American_princess

I did not know it had such negative connotations.