Wednesday, March 18, 2009

typo/ Monedas

Woops.
In my last post I meant to say BA related, not BS related. Freudian, I mean 'left pinky' slip.

I have been confronted to a few problems in Buenos Aires due to the lack of Monedas.

Monedas means 'coins'. Monedas are scarce in Buenos Aires and nobody knows exactly why.
BA has a very extensive bus system. Buses come very often, operate all day and night, and often times take you from one end of the city to the other, dropping you off/picking you up very close to your destination. For this reason many people choose to take the bus. As a matter of fact, I find that congestion in this city is very low compared to Cairo and even large metropolises of developed countries, perhaps due to the bus system.

However, one major flaw of the buses here, is that they only accept monedas. There is not electronic card system and in this respect, the bus system is outdated.

Therefore, everyone uses monedas to take the bus. No monedas=no bus.

A few effects of this scarcity:

Today I did not go to class because I could not find monedas. Instead I read the news at a cafe and studied some econ. (Upon handing me the change, the waiter "forgot" to give me 50 centagos' worth of monedas...)

Yesterday I tried to buy some avocados (inspired by Zac) but could not because the store had no monedas and I didn't want to give them the few I had left, the very reason I went to the store in the first place being to get monedas.

A week ago, Ugi's, a pizza place –my new favorite hawaoushi equivalent– could not sell me four pesos' worth of pizza because they had no monedas and change for my 100 peso bill.

I wonder if it's just me, or if others also lose out on opportunities and sales because of this lack of monedas.

No comments: